Sunday, September 30, 2007

on the bright side of new beginnings

That's where I'm trying to look - on the bright side of new beginnings.

You know when people say, "I've had the worst day at work!"? They haven't. Short of an actual explosion or someone coming in with a machine gun, I've had the worst day at work - it was Friday. My company blew up, in the metaphorical sense, and became a small fraction of itself. While I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't lose a job, I am the unlucky one who got to meet with each person who did individually and explain their exit packages to him/her. Picture a single-file line out of your office door that goes on way too long of people who are a little shocked, at least a little scared, significantly impatient, likely on the verge of tears and very disappointed. To make it harder, these people knew that I was also having a hard day, and at least half tried to comfort me. Bless them. Bless them all.

I'm hoping that the blow-up of my company will allow for happy new beginnings - I have to believe that it will. Of course, I'll make sure I'm there long enough to ensure that the people who lost jobs are taken care of - that their unemployment is in place, that their COBRA is in place, that sort of thing. It's not my specialty, but I know I can help, and I hesitate to leave it to anyone who's left. If I'm lucky, I'll also be there long enough to transition to a new chapter in my work life. For me, it's likely an opportunity to gain even more flexibility in my schedule. I'm hoping to find some part-time clients where I can consult and help them out at the same time allowing myself more time with my son. This also gives me the flexibility to help my husband with some things that he does outside of his day job.

I have a grand vision that includes growing so that I have enough work to add other women who are smart and have lots to offer but don't want to work fulltime to the mix. I know lots of women (some moms, some not) in my industry who have mentioned that they'd like to work in a flexible way, which is tough to do in our field. I believe that giving them the means to do that would be wonderful for them and extra wonderful for the companies they would be helping.

So, off into the wild blue yonder. Now you may have non-little-boy-related postings to peruse as I figure out what I'm doing and how to do it. Wish me luck - I'll need it!

No comments: