Sunday, February 14, 2010

delightful read

Just devoured The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society; some great reading for book club this year!  I really had trouble putting it down.  The last book I read that was in the form of letters was years ago, Dangerous Liaisons, another one of my favorites.  I think it would be tough to convey a narrative that way, but when it's done well, amazing!  I love the sense of characters in the Society, as well as the sense of history.  We really are lucky and spoiled never to have lived through such a war on our home land, and spoiled to live as we do generally.  Stories about German occupation during WWII and about concentration camps are so horrible and so humbling.  I love that this book was able to convey what it did without being preachy and while still making me unable to put it down.  If it were twice as long, I'd still be reading it now.  I wish I were.

I also just read The Wednesday Sisters, another book club book.  I love book club!  The sense of true friendship shown there, through thick, thin and growth is wonderful.  It shows the best in friendships among women, even when we're not exactly at our best.  Can't wait to read the next couple of books.  It's February 14, and I'm ready to start the June book.  Hee hee!

No comments: