Sunday, May 18, 2008

What's clingier than a 14-month old in a "mommy" phase?

One who's missed his mommy and daddy for four nights while they had a fabulous getaway. Heavens! The getaway was wonderful - sunny and tropical and reconnecting and everything it should be. Missed Aidan something awful, but I didn't cry at all (once I'd dropped him off at my folks - there were, to be fair, pre-departure tears). Noticed every single baby while we were gone, but my mom pointed out to me that I've always done that. I still think it was worse, though.

Aidan did just great - reading the reports from "school," where my folks dropped him for awhile each day so he'd feel like he was still in his normal routine, he had wonderful days and all kinds of fun. My folks reported same. He's even been jovial since we got home (two days ago).

Because of this, I was unprepared for the level of clinginess when I got home. Can't blame the kid - I explained to him how the whole thing would work before I left, and every time I drop him off anywhere, I remind him "Mommy will always love you, and Mommy will always come back." However, his being 14 months old, I don't think he really gets it yet. Every time since I've been home that I get up to walk to the restroom or even just to shift in my seat he seems nervous that I'm going to leave him and melts down, reaching for me. Talk about heartbreaking. We're definitely on the upswing, though. Hopefully in another day or two we'll be back to normal.

No comments: