Sunday, February 26, 2012

Birthdays are the currency of (almost) five year olds

"If you do something great, "You're invited to my birthday!"  If you don't, "Then you're not invited to my birthday!"  (Nudges of, "Without me, there IS no birthday" are no help to that logic.)  When Addison dumps Phillip and falls in love with Aidan, she's not invited to Phillip's birthday.  Eventually, they're forgiven and birthday invitations resume.  Aidan spends his time making tickets of sorts (the last set were swords cut out of paper and colored) and giving them to friends to show their admissibility to his birthday party.  Birthdays are big.  Really big.

Party's coming up - we bought actual invitations Friday, the kind that have details about the when and where of the party.  Can't wait to hand them out at school tomorrow.  It's a pool party at a rec center, and we're inviting the whole class.  Big stuff.  That's not the best part, though.

We're going to spend the night at my folks' house the night before his birthday as a special treat.  He'll think that's the special treat.  In fact, that morning, the morning he turns five, a fire truck will pull up to my folks' house and drive him to school.  He doesn't know, but the school does, and they'll all be standing outside waiting for the firetruck to pull up when he gets there.  It's the coolest thing I've ever heard of - I didn't even know it existed.  We got it in a silent auction.  I can't wait. 

I.  Can't.  Wait.

No comments: