Friday, September 28, 2012

Uma has it

Aidan has a love for music.  He sings all the time and has taken to whistling lately, which I enjoy immensely.  I mean, unhappy children don't burst into song (he's not singing, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" or anything), so I take it as a good sign.  This morning I dropped him off at kgarten, and I saw him strolling down the sidewalk, carrying his backpack, whistling.  Cool.

All this to say that he knows quite a bit of pop music.  We listen to it in the car a lot (he knows his favorite stations by call number and will request them).  I should say, he "knows" quite a bit of pop music. 

He loves Adele.  We've had a running discussion about her song, Rumor Has It.  He loves the song, but insists it's Uma Has It, even before he knew that Uma was a name.  I've asked what on earth that means, but it doesn't matter.  He's convinced.  The song comes on, and he'll say, "Mommy, speak it up so you can hear it's Uma."  It's be on another day, and he'll say something like, "See-some people think it's Rumor, but Phillip [his buddy] and I know it's Uma."  Another time, even that Phillip's (older) brother had told them it's Rumor, but he and Phillip talked, and they decided it's definitely Uma.  They will not be swayed.  It's been months - several months - he is certain.  How great is that sort of determination?  I'm hoping this means that he won't fall to peer pressure as he grows.

In fact, that's a reasonable hope, as I think about it.  My brother had a similar trait and did not fall, decidedly, to peer pressure.  Still doesn't.  (My brother's extra cool.)  Being 7 years older than my bro ("LB"), here are some of the hits from his youth as he insisted on singing them:
  • For Joan Jett's "I love rock and roll," the line following being consistent, but unintelligible, syllables.  No amount of "so put another dime in the jukebox, Baby" would convince him.  In fact, he'd get angry with me for the suggestion.  Strangely, Aidan shares that one with LB.  Also adores the song, also sings consistent but unintelligible lyrics for those lines.  Awesome.
  • In "California Dreamin'", 2nd verse that is "Stopped into a church I passed along the way," he had "Stuck down in a church" - which explained why the guy would get down on his knees and begin to pray (the next line) - I mean, you're stuck.  Of course you pray.  Even better, the following line:  "You know the preacher likes to call; he knows I'm gonna stay."  Um, yeah you're gonna stay--you're stuck!  (I love that one)
  • INXS Need you tonight, Actual lyrics:  "Your moves are so raw, I've got to let you know - you're one of my kind."  LB's lyrics:  "Your knees are so raw, I've got to let you know - you're one of my kind."  I never wanted to know the details of why this gentleman might be seeking out a lady with raw knees.  I never asked (though I did get bad mental pictures).

No comments: