Friday, January 16, 2009

Where did that girl go?

My dear friend Missy sent me a newspaper cutout (via email, of course) of an advice column. A single woman had written in and asked what her friends with kids do all day, and why they couldn't get things done like she could or have any free time. The response, from a mom, was a little biting, but a good one. I'm sure some others have seen this.

The sad thing, though, is that I ask myself these questions. What do I do all day? Why can't I get anything done? Is it wrong to want some playtime w/my son in addition to all of the productive things we do during the day, when instead of playtime I could also be productive doing something else? It's a constant struggle, and I'm certain I'm not alone.

I feel as though I'm barely treading water sometimes. The house may look like a hurricane hit, and I'm balancing to ensure that nothing essential falls - all bills paid, kid fed, clothed and bathed, getting to/from work. I've noticed this getting a little easier lately as Aidan gets (at all) more self-sufficient, and I'm hopeful that this trend will continue. One day, I hope to be near the together, competant girl I was pre-Aidan, caught up and with spare time. I miss her.

No comments: